With no warning, one day I woke up and suddenly looked 5 months pregnant and I was allergic to several food groups. I couldn't pin point why my stomach had expanded while living such a healthy lifestyle. I eat mostly plant based and take probiotics, work out everyday and drink tons of water. After several months of dealing with severe bloating after every meal accompanied by hives produced by a histamine intolerance, I decided to immerse myself in gut research. Discovering the importance of the gut brain axis was a turning point in my healing process. Understanding the connection between the central nervous system and the GI tract set off a light bulb in my head. I have experienced anxiety on a tangible level more this year than I ever have in my life. The physical response to all stressful situations was felt directly in my lower abdomen. It was a feeling of tightness in the gut, and a shortness of breath. My gut and brain were clearly in communication, but were not in harmonious c0nsesus.
(Please note: I am not a licensed medical professional. The information following is based on the trial and error of my own experience. I leave my suggestions with hopes of healing others, but I cannot guarantee that what works for me will also work for you.)
The purpose of this blog is not to give you a technical explanation of why I was experiencing these symptoms, and why this protocol worked for me. I am not an expert on gut issues, and the specific reason they occur in others. I just happened to intuitively feel that I had an overgrowth of bad bacteria in my GI tract based upon the very similar symptoms I had been researching through other peoples conditions. After trying different supplements with much trial and error, what you see below is what was incredibly successful for me. Before you begin, I must mention that I had to eliminate probiotics from my diet. I know that sounds backwards when dealing with gut issues but I tested my thesis out several times and there must be a specific strain that causes more inflammation - at least in my experience.
Here is the protocol that has successfully flattened my stomach, and kept it flat.
COCKTAIL MIXTURE TAKEN 3x A DAY, BEFORE EVERY MEAL:
Add contents to the glass and take as a shot.
SUPPLEMENTS TAKEN SEPERATELY:
- Jambo Peppermint CBD Spray (2 sprays morning and 2 sprays evening) - adaptogen, calming for those with anxiety. The peppermint extract is very soothing to the digestive system.
- Now Foods 5HTP (1 capsule before bed) - boosts serotonin, promoting gut mobility.
WHAT I AVOID
- Processed sugar - feeds candida.
- Beans and legumes - exacerbates bloating and flatulence.
- Kombucha - triggers my histamine intolerance and causes bloating.
- Alcohol (which hasn’t been an issue - sober 6 months wohoo!) - triggers histamine intolerance.
- Substances that induce anxiety. So coffee, or anything high in caffeine is a no no.
- Stressful people and situations :)
Thank you for reading.